Sloan, Steven Page on McCartney Tribute AlbumJAM! Music, August 21st, 2001.
A tribute album to the music of Paul McCartney, featuring contributions from Canada's Sloan and members of Barenaked Ladies, is being readied for release next month.
Billboard reports that the album, "Listen To What the Man Said: Popular Artists Pay Tribute to the Music of Paul McCartney," will benefit breast-cancer research. It features contributions from pop acolytes Matthew Sweet, Robyn Hitchcock, They Might Be Giants, and World Party.
BNL's Steven Page and Kevin Hearn team up with Stephen Duffy for their contribution, the report said.
"You really begin to appreciate what a truly great singer Sir Paul is when you try to cover one of his songs," Sloan's Jay Ferguson told Billboard. "Apologies ahead of time for any cracked notes".
Each of the artists waived their royalties and studio costs to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, in memory of Linda McCartney, who died from the disease in 1998.
Here's the track list, according to Billboard:
- Band on the Run Owsley
- My Brave Face SR-71
- Junk Kevin Hearn and Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies / Stephen Duffy of The Lilac Time
- Jet Semisonic
- No More Lonely Nights The Merrymakers
- Let Me Roll It Robyn Hitchcock
- Too Many People The Finn Brothers
- Dear Friend The Minus Five
- Every Night Matthew Sweet
- Waterfalls Sloan
- Man We Was Lonely World Party
- Coming Up John Faye Power Trip
- Maybe I'm Amazed Virgos
- Love In Song Judybats
- Warm and Beautiful Linus of Hollywood
- Ram On They Might Be Giants